People Change or Change Management is an organisational discipline that considers how to get the best out of our people by helping them to do new things or behave in a new way at work.
Most commonly people think about Change Management as being associated with projects – supporting the delivery of training and communications to people. It is, but it can be more than that.
People change is about how people behave and react to doing new things. Because change is always happening it is about shaping and reshaping the culture of an organisation through ensuring collaborative and coordinated leadership. It also includes communicating well and is supported by a strong learning and development environment .
Businessary can help you to understand the different components of change here in our organisation and what it means to make changes here at your organisation. We also have toolkits to help you learn more about what change is and what people experience and to find tools to support you in your everyday work.
Change management is proven to enhance the success of projects so that the benefits we expect to get are able to be seen much faster than if we didn’t focus on our people.
When delivered well, change management helps the people in the organisation to transform from its current state to its desired future.
Leading others through change
Everyone experiences change differently. The role of a leader during change an important one. The most influential leaders in any business for making sure change happens are our frontline leaders.
Leading through change means creating a culture where each team has:
- a positive and encouraging view and outlook about achieving our goals and being a part of our future
- An environment which sustains effective two way, open communication and engagement about what’s going on
- Has regular coaching of people – on a daily basis , to understand where they are in their own personal change experience, and then helping them through where we can
- Coordinated the changes and put structure around information sharing and activities that help people to feel involved and know what is going on so they can feel in control of their work experience
- A consistent focus on the growth and capability development of everyone in the team – so they are all set up to succeed during and after the change
Frontline leaders are often unsure about what it means when we talk about ‘change management’. It can feel like a complicated and mysterious activity where they are not really sure about what they need to do to make things go well. Businessary provides the tools to break leading change down into making sure we do these few things very well:
- Help our people through their individual change journey (using the ADKAR model)
- Helping to manage the work that we are doing to create the future